Tuesday, February 07, 2006

That Violet Elegant Woman

First of all, public piano playing doesn't happen enough. That said, the other day while my daughter and I reposed in a department store where public piano playing is habitual, I saw the most elegant woman this side of the early 20th century silver screen. I couldn't take my eyes off her.
She was timeless. It's hard to believe that I was captivated by a woman wearing varying shades of violet from head-to-toe. Her dress covered every inch of skin except her face. It was tight without being trashy. She had the most beautiful mocha-colored skin. This deep, rich skin tone complemented her outfit. Atop her head was the most beautiful hat. A hat! It was akin to those hats that women used to wear. It was lavender with dark purple, dainty little feathered flowers. At her shoulder was an oversized flower brooch.
I was all agog as she walked by.
It was one of those moments where I wish that I was invisible so I could follow her and watch her. Who was she? Where was she going? Where was she from? What was her name?
I have a friend from college who described a man she saw in Italy while on European quarter. She said she was walking down one of those really narrow Italian alleys with another girl from school. They were walking at a rapid clip, talking and taking in the Italian feel. This man started toward them and their conversation ceased. And they both found themselves staring and as he approached they found themselves parting like the Red Sea, staring at this man as they both staggered to the sides of the alley and held on to the walls as he passed. He was that beautiful. I can't imagine how beautiful, but I found myself thankful yesterday. Thankful that I was sitting and obscured by this piano so that I could sit and stare hard at this woman as she walked by.

No comments: