Saturday, July 01, 2006

All Julia All the Time

Well, my trusty iBook is on a trip to Memphis. Perhaps Lil' Betty will get to see Graceland and do an impersonation that rivals that of Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi. If not, I'll just be happy to have her home so I can post pictures so I don't lose my two readers--my mom and my sister. I might've lost around 500 photos. This made Kathy gasp. She doesn't know that 500 photos represents only about two to three days in the life of the Hanson family. I am nothing if not a prolific photographer.

Anyway, in my laptop's absence I've been sallying forth in my knowledge of Julia Child. She was a fascinating character--and very tall. She had a dream kitchen made to fit her height. This is my eventual goal. You can visit her kitchen at the Smithsonian Institute.

Anyway, I've been reading the biography of her life in France. I've also been reading Julie Powell's book about her great Project. Such fun.

I've also been watching Julia on some DVDs from the library. And I have another Julia Child biography that I'm going to start and then it's on to the Mastering the ARt of French Cooking. I think I'll try me a recipe--but I won't be cooking all 524 of them like Mrs. Powell.

I highly suggest Julie and Julia and My Life in France. I think the thing I like most about Julia is not just the cooking as much as her zest for life. She didn't start cooking until her thirties after she had a great lunch of sole mariner in France. She maintained that the lunch changed her life. She lived with gusto and found her passion and I can't get enough of her.

Perhaps someday we'll make some crepes together in the Big Kitchen in the sky!

"I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate." Julia Child

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool! I didn't know that she (Julia) was very tall!

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention that our mom won a cooking contest and as the winner, got to meet (and eat) with Julia! mom said she had a "few" big glasses of wine with dinner, resulting in a "big" grin on her face...