Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Climate Controlled

I've come to realize that the people of the Northwest must be more acclimated to dealing with the heat than myself, a desert dweller. These barbarians have no air conditioning, as a general rule. In Phoenix I spend my summers in the comforts of my seventy-eight degree home. Here in Portland I am roasting in our apartment with the comforts of a small fan blowing around warm air. If the US were a human, I would be found nestled in its inner thighs.

Everyone says, "Well, we don't need air conditioning because it's not hot here for very long?" Define "very long." Because I've been here for three weeks with a sweaty midriff the entire time. Who do they think they're fooling? Certainly not the bacteria in their own sweaty pits.

3 comments:

~beautyandjoy~ said...

It's funny - I heard some one else commenting on this. How hot their house was at 84 degrees without a/c and I was thinking - oh man, those are the days we live for! :)

Maybe living by so much water in the PNW helps? We do spend a lot of the hot days on or near water. But still - maybe it's the nine months of pouring rain and grey that alters our need for it? :)

The Barrett Family said...

You crack me up. I love the vivid pictures you paint ... hang in there, my friend.

We had monsoons roll through last night and this morning. Yesterday evening, right before dusk, you would have thought we were having a block party there were so many people outside frolicking in the "cool weather". 95 degrees with 95 percent humidity is downright dreamy this time of year.

faithsalutes said...

i am watching my last phoenix lightning storm. i will miss them.