Saturday, June 03, 2006

Ergo Ipso Facto Ad Nauseum

Jamie, or rather, Iacobus, has a friend, Lucas, who calls with some frequence to partake of some friendly Latin conversation. When this occurs I am reminded my husband's unique character. These conversations usually take up the better part of an hour and involve Latin and deep laughter, at least on this end of the phone. If you were in my house you might be privy to this:

Phone vibrating!

"Hello. Salve, salve."

"Noli turbare circulos meos!"

"Celerius quam asparagi cocuntur."

"Oh, Lucas, da mi basia mille, deinde centum, deinde mille altera, deinde centum."

"Ha ha ha. Ho ho ho."

"Quid? HA! Cogito ergo sum"

"Ha, ha ha! Veni, vini, vici! In vino veritas!"

"Germania in Europa est!"

And then, as quick as it started it's over--like Renee Zellweger's marriage! Of course, I am no Latin scholar, so the conversational example is strictly from memory and a few notes I jotted down last night.

Not to mention a little help from another website.

3 comments:

Hansonius said...

Lingua Latina est gaudium et utilis! - Wheelock

Anonymous said...

O dolorosa dies, mei amici!

Eve said...

this is hilarious. espesh the hollywood marriage comment..
I wish I could hear latin in everyday life! It's so cool; how can people say it's boring?