Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"I Said, 'Daddy, Wook at ME!'"

Stella is at the stage in her language development where she acquires sentences instead of words. It's quite interesting. Especially after having had such a seemingly long period of stagnant word acquisition.

This morning she helped me make the oatmeal. That's another skill that has advanced. She's very good a stirring with her little wooden spoon. The first time she helped me it was more of an uncontrolled thrashing. This morning she could've been doubling for a Food Network celebrity chef.

The bonus is that she's extra willing to consume meals when she's been involved in the preparation.

This morning I told her to call for her dad to come look at her while she cooked.

She did.

And she proceeded to repeat the sentence throughout breakfast.

"I said, 'Daddy, come wook at me!'"

In addition to which, she's starting to recognize her way around town. This creates some sadness when we turn down our street to go home. She admonishes us to continue west toward her favorite park by yelping from the backseat, "No! Go THAT way! Go THAT way!"

And when she sense our proximity to Chick-fil-A she acknowledges it with a simple, "I want some!"

And, yes, everything she says does need an exclamation point.

1 comment:

Southern Comfortable said...

Adorable!

I have to agree with the "I want some" response to Chick-fil-a. It's one of the things I miss most about living in Georgia, where we had them all over the place. There are a few around the D.C. area, but none are near my house. So sad.

Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog! I have, indeed, read "Life Giving Love." Thankfully, I read it before we discovered our fertility problems--otherwise I may not have appreciated it as much. It's a great book, though.

I've also read a LOT about the Pope Paul VI Institute. I only wish it were closer to Washington! What a great program.