Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Advent of "Why?"

"I wanna wear this, Mom," Stella says holding up a little pink sun dress. It's been unseasonably cool here in Phoenix. It rained in the middle of the day on Friday. It poured down. This is glorious, mind you, but nonetheless unexpected. For this reason I tell Stella she can wear the dress but she needs to wear a shirt underneath.

"Why?"

"Because it's a little chilly outside lately."

"Why, Mom?"

"Because there are clouds in the sky."

"Why?"

"Because a cold front has moved East off the Pacific."

"Why?"

"Because," and here I must pause. Because? Have you ever had an existential conversation about the weather? Do I offer her Jeff Goldblum's chaotic theory from the helicopter ride in Jurassic Park?

"Because a butterfly flapped it's wings in Japan..." Of course I don't say that. Mostly because she has moved on.

"Can you put your hanger back?"

"Why, Mom?"

"Because hangers don't belong on the floor."

"Why?"

"Because they can't hang there."

I think you know the rest.

No comments: