Friday, January 08, 2010

Effective Not Efficient

This is a good reminder:

"You [should] think effectiveness with people and efficiency with things… I see many parents, particularly mothers with small children, often frustrated in their desire to accomplish a lot because all they seem to do is meet the needs of little children all day. Remember, frustration is a function of our expectations, and our expectations are often a reflection of the social mirror rather than our own values and priorities." (Stephen Covey The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People)

Via a blog I frequent.

This is especially formative in my thoughts when I think about my life as being vocation-driven than being product-driven. Technically speaking, my kids are my "product." They are not, however, something that can be measured in importance on an outcome basis. They provide me with lots of things to do, lot of menial things by some standards, but what better way can I fill my time?

After all, the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.

2 comments:

~beautyandjoy~ said...

I savour every word you write. Seriously. Thank you again.

love2learnmom said...

I'm SO glad you found it helpful! :)